This was the last run through Brooklyn Centre. It included the area known as Barbarowa which is a micro-neighborhood that surrounds St. Barbara Church along the eastern edge of Denison Ave just west of the Jennings Freeway. The actual boundary of the run was Willowdale Ave (north) to Calvary Park (south) and W. 25th (west) to the Denison Ave Bridge (east).
Notable locations included:
Riverside Cemetery: Founded in 1876, Riverside was the first major, non-sectarian cemetery built west of the Cuyahoga River. It was designed by an eventual City of Cleveland parks commissioner (1884). One of the more notable sections of the cemetery is Babyland, which is an area dedicated exclusively for child burials. During the nation's centennial celebration in 1876, several trees were planted, one by Ohio governor and future U.S. president Rutherford B. Hayes. Also, the original chapel building (built in 1876) was restored after a 50 year hiatus.
Eighth Reformed Church: This church 2409 Willowdale Ave was built in 1909 as the Eighth Reformed Church by German immigrants. Its design is Mission/Spanish Style Revival. It later became a Baptist church.
Engine House #24: The former fire station was built in 1894 and still stands at 3723 Pearl Rd. It closed in 1985 and is now home to an architecture firm. A newer station was built just a block or so south (Fire Station #20).
W.C. Reed Playfield: In 1942 the City acquired the 13-acre property from the Cleveland Railway Company for recreational purposes as a public park. It was closed in 2013 after it was determined that the soil needed remediation due to it formerly being an industrial waste site. In 2018, it was reopened after a multi-million remediation investment by the City and the EPA. The park is named after a former City councilmember who also served as the first chairman of the old Cleveland Transit System and was the congressional district representative for the 1940 Democratic convention.
Horizon Science Academy Denison School: This neighborhood charter school focuses on STEM education and was the recipient of the 2017 Ohio Board of Education Momentum Award which recognizes school which exceed expectations in student growth.
Denison Cemetery: Also known as Brooklyn Centre Burying Ground, the first internment in this tiny cemetery on Garden Ave dates back as far as 1823. The land was deeded with the name Brooklyn Centre when it was founded in 1835. This historic cemetery is the final resting place for many of the neighborhood’s founding families as well as veterans of every major U.S. war.
Quisqueya Latin Cuisine: Popular neighborhood spot serving up primarily Dominican cuisine.
St. Barbara Church: This Polish parish began in 1905 and there have been several different iterations of the church site since that time. The church is a cultural anchor to the eastern portion of Brooklyn Centre. In fact, when the local bishop ordered the church closed in 2009, it was reopened by Vatican degree several years later due to public outcry.
Gino's Cento Anno: This 70+ year-old, blue-collar neighborhood bar on Denison Ave is classic Cleveland. It's been named one of the city's best dive bars by Cleveland.com. Beto O'Rourke made a campaign stop here during his 2020 presidential run.
Cleats Club Seat Grille: This regional franchise started in North Royalton and has expanded to four locations, including this "Old Brooklyn" location (I think the ownership maybe didn't double-check their neighborhood map). They are primarily known for their award-winning wings.
Calgary Park: This 5.2 acre park built in 1944 is buried deep within the southern streets of Brooklyn Centre. In the mid-20th century, it would sometimes be the site of a visit from the Show Wagon, a form of traveling entertainment for children. It has a playground, basketball courts, baseball field and a walking trail but is in need of maintenance.
Distance This Run: 8.0 miles
Distance So Far: 208.3 miles
Strava Recording (I went back and picked up Harvard Ave after)
|Entrance to Denison Cemetery (aka. Brooklyn Centre Burying Ground)|
|St. Barbara Church|
|Traffic calming on W. 14th|
|Towpath Trail on Harvard Ave.|
|Big Creek under Jennings Road|
|Cleats - Old Brooklyn (ahem, Brooklyn Centre)|
|Gino's, a longtime neighborhood watering hole|
|W. 14th Street|
|Near Denison Ave Bridge|
|W. 15th Street|
|W.C. Reed Playfield (remediated)|
|Horizon Science Academy|
|Brooklyn Centre Burying Ground stone marker|
|Old Engine House #24 (est. 1894)|
|Former Eight Reformed Church (est. 1906)|
|The beautiful Riverside Cemetery chapel (built 1876)|
|Located outside Fire Station #20 on Pearl Rd.|
|W. 19th Street|