Skip to main content

Section 71: Kamm's - Part 3

This was the second section run of the Kamm's neighborhood in West Park. Below is the boundary map:

Map: Run 1Run 2

Distance This Section: 10.9 miles

Distance So Far: 555.8 miles


Per Freshwater Cleveland: "Situated on the southwest corner of Rocky River Drive and Lorain Avenue, the Kamm Building has been the staple of the Kamm's Corners neighborhood for more than 100 years. Originally built in 1900 for Oswald Kamm’s lucrative general store, and later used as a post office, it has been home to many businesses—mostly restaurants—during its 120-year life. In the past few years, the Kamm Building has become vacant and is struggling to find a permanent use. The building is a key component in local history, as Kamm served as a popular town figure and played a role in the development of the Kamm’s Corners neighborhood in West Park." Read more here.


This house at 17134 Fernshaw Ave was originally located next to the Kamm Building on Lorain Ave. It was moved in 1925 and is privately occupied.


According to Freshwater Cleveland: "In 1909, Kamm constructed a rowhouse-style apartment building known as “Kamm’s Terrace” at 3890 Rocky River Dr. It today exists as an office building. Kamm’s daughter Lena and her husband Fred A. Colbrunn, great-grandson of the largest landowning family in the village, lived in a smaller home directly to the north of Kamm’s Terrace and the couple owned the apartment building until the 1950s."

This map of historical locations in West Park/Kamm's is located in the window of the West Park Historical Society (17401 Lorain Ave).

West Park Kamm's Neighborhood Development was founded in 1977 and is the community development corporation which primarily serves the Kamm's neighborhood. The organization provides a wide variety of services such as planning, economic development, and special events.

The Lorain Road Bridge was built in 1935 and features these art deco-style building features. The bridge received an Award of Merit as the "Most Beautiful Steel Bridge" from the American Institute of Steel Construction when it was constructed.

Old Lorain Road wraps down behind Fairview Hospital, entering into the Rocky River Reservation.

Signage at a sharp bend on Old Lorain Road.

Casey O'Conor has been practicing orthodontic care at this cool house-turned-office at 3906 Rocky River Drive for over 20 years.

This house at 17306 Bradgate definitely gets the gold star for best yard.

Larchwood Village/West Park Commons (4102 Rocky River Drive) is a 99 bed, senior assisted living facility. 

This resident on Larchwood Ave is giving some red accent to his stone-lined driveway.

Dane's (4176 Rocky River Drive) has been a neighborhood staple since 1963. Folks love the hot honey pizza.

Several of these beautiful mixed-use buildings sill align portions of Rocky River Drive.

This old advertisement for Key Music Company on Lorain Ave is at 4094 Rocky River Drive.

Cleveland and Irish directional signs adorn this utility pole located outside of Public House restaurant.

The Public House (17219 Lorain Road) is a Kamm's staple, serving up Irish-themed dishes and cold beer for many, many years. A go-to for watching Cleveland sports.

Post-run meal: a portabella pita and Dublin onion soup from Public House.

The Fairway Manor (17815 Fairway Ave) is a CMHA property built in 1981 and provides 54 one-bedroom units to seniors.

Age Line (4350 Rocky River Drive) is an adult day care center which gives respite to caregivers by providing a place elderly seniors can be taken for a few hours or an entire day for things like social activities, meals, and general elderly care and supervision.

Chambers Funeral Home (4420 Rocky River Dr) was founded in 1933. It's first location was at W. 85th & Madison Ave and then moved to this location in 1937. It's family-owned and also have two other locations in the Cleveland area.

Golf View Drive doesn't have much view of golf but it does have a great tree canopy.

Davinwood Park (19115 Davinwood Dr) is a 5-acre  park established in 1956 and features a playground, baseball diamond and a large amount of greenspace.


Puritas Springs Park was located roughly near W. 194th & Puritas Ave. Per the marker: "Puritas Mineral Spring Company bottled and sold mineral water from the natural springs in the area. In 1894, the Cleveland and Berea Street Railway bought Puritas Springs and expanded the area into a picnic grove with a dance hall and pavilion to increase passenger traffic on the inter-urban line. Puritas Springs Park opened June 10, 1900—the first day the railway operated all the way to the entrance gates. John E. Gooding bought Puritas Springs in June 1915 and added an indoor roller rink, amusement rides, and the mighty Cyclone roller coaster. Labor Day 1958 the park closed, and on May 9, 1959 a fire destroyed many parts of the abandoned park." Perhaps the greatest features of the park was the Cyclone rollercoaster (actually listed on the back of this marker). It is actually on the Smithsonian Institution’s list of Great Lost Roller Coasters. Photo: Cleveland.com (I missed the marker on my run).

Douglas MacArthur Girls Leadership Academy (4401 Valleyside Road) is a CMSD pre-8th school serving approximately 300+ students. CMSD plans to build a new building on the site in the near future.

The entrance to Rocky River Reservation from Puritas Road. In this section is the park's stables and also the Mastic Woods Golf Course.

Rollin' on the (Rocky) River.