Skip to main content

Section 72: Kamm's - Part 4

 This was the second section run of the Kamm's neighborhood in West Park. Below is the boundary map:

MapRun 1Run 2

Distance This Section: 10.9 miles

Distance So Far: 555.8 miles

St. Patrick's Church (4427 Rocky River Drive) is one of the oldest parishes in the Cleveland Catholic Diocese. The parish was established in 1848 by Reverend Amadeus Rappe, the first bishop of Cleveland. Outreach included sports programs open to all, fundraisers for police and fire fighter funds, and a space for Alcoholics Anonymous and other community meetings. The church also operates a hunger center for over 30 years which feeds about 130 families a month and more around holidays.

Gunning Park (16700 Puritas Ave) was established in 1943. The outdoor portion features tennis courts, a playground, baseball diamond and a large football/soccer field. It also has a huge rec center which features a weight room, sauna, track, basketball court and indoor pool.

Friends and family watching a flag football game at Gunning Park.

Cretan Party Center (3853 W. 168th Street) is a Greek-themed social hall that is part of the George Varouh Cretan Club of Cleveland. It is home to the Kamm's Corner Greek Festival. 

West Park Kamm's Neighborhood Development has hosted the Kamm's Corners Farmers Market every Sunday for 16 seasons from mid-June through mid-October. The market provides a source for locally grown produce, homemade treats, and handmade works. It also hosts sustainability programming, kid’s activities, and healthy living features.


FutureChurch (3909 Rocky River Drive) is a progressive Catholic church which was founded in Cleveland in 1990 and "supports women's ordination, the advancement of feminist theology, and an end to mandatory priestly celibacy". Also located in the building is Discovery World, a nursery school and child care center for kids 3-11. Next door is West Park United Church of Christ which was founded in 1859 and has been in the same location for over 160 years!

Brick homes on a brick street (Truax Ave). Kamm's loves its brick.


P.J. McIntyre's Irish Pub (17119 Lorain Ave) is a super legit Irish pub. It was even voted #1 in Ohio by Delish, which notes that "owner Patrick Campbell is a professional Irish dancer, so live music is often on tap and the pub even offers adult Irish step-dancing classes."

Lorain Square (16321 Lorain Ave) is a 6 story, 110 unit apartment building built in 1971 and managed by CMHA. 

Cleveland Public Library - West Park Branch (3805 W. 157th Street) was completed in 1928 by the historic local architect firm Walker & Weeks. The branch is constructed of red brick with stone trim with a beautiful slate roof. One of the features of the building was the leaded glass bays. At 14,400 square feet, West Park is one of the largest Cleveland Public Library branches. It features a courtyard and free kids after-school lunch program. The branch is currently undergoing a $4.7 renovation.

The West Park Family YMCA (15501 Lorain Ave) was built in 1964. It offers offers a swimming pool, community garden, child watch, personal training and fitness center.

The Wash House & Cafe (15149 Lorain Ave) is a modern laundry experience, featuring coffee drinks, local pastries, outdoor patio seating, and a kids play zone. You can also wash your clothes.


The West Park Gilbert O’Neil VFW Post 2533 was organized on June 2, 1932 by a group of forty Veterans in the West Park area. In 1933, the Ladies Auxiliary was formed. The name was chosen in honor of a soldier from the community who was an early casualty in World War I. The first meetings were held in the former West Park Town Hall. From 1933 until 1949 the Post met at their own quarters at West 135th Street & Lorain Avenue. This building on West 150th Street was built in 1949.

The MetroHealth West Park Health Center (3838 W. 150th St) was built in 1991 and is considered one of the best urgent care clinics in Cleveland.

This building at 15149 Lorain Ave was the former site of John Marshall High School. It's been the site of various businesses since the school was relocated in 1932. Most notably, it was the home of Leopold Brothers Furniture from 1946-1987. It then sat vacant for 25 years. It's now home to a glass block company, loft apartments and the Wash House & Cafe (above).

Cleveland Fire Station 39 (15637 Lorain Ave) was built in 1917 and renovated in 2003.

A sample of the brick homes on Woodbury Ave.

Drakefield Park (15651 Drakefield Ave) was established in 1952 and features a playground, baseball diamond, tennis courts and a walking path.

Founded in 1936, Pring Roofing Company was created by Harry Pring, a native Clevelander who started out in the oil business but saw a need in roofing and went for it. Sons Ronald and Richard joined the firm as applicators in about 1956. In the early 1970's, the Company moved from the east side to this (former) location on Chatfield Avenue (they are now on Grimsby Ave in Bellaire Puritas). Fun fact about Harry: he was an avid roller skating enthusiast, never skating less than four nights a week while also attending national meets.

Brick-paved W. 161st Street.

This RTA entrance on Valleyview Dr. provides a pedestrian connection to the Puritas-W. 150th Rapid Station. The station received a complete $9.54 million makeover (which included this building) and was re-dedicated on May 17, 2011.

Valley View Boys Leadership Academy (17200 Valleyview Dr) is an all-male, preK-8 school that is part of CMSD's Innovative Network of schools serving about 180 students. Curriculum is based on leadership principles with an intentional culture of leadership development, experiential learning, structure and discipline.

This home on W. 161st St. was part of Garden Walk Cleveland which was happening on the day of this run.

West Park Animal Hospital (4117 Rocky River Drive) was founded by Dr. Robert Meister in the 1960s and operated it successfully for almost 30 years. In the 1990s, Dr. Meister sold West Park Animal Hospital to Dr. Borys Pakush, and he continues to carry on the legacy of the practice. In the background is the construction of their new 35,000 square foot facility which will open in Spring 2023.

The VIP Inn (4107 Rocky River Dr) is a neighborhood bar featuring cheap eats. Recently remodeled. Folks like the Cajun BBQ wings.

Cone Zone & Grill was a popular summer ice cream and breakfast shop on Rocky River Drive but closed recently. RIP.

One small step (and smile) for man on W. 176th.

The grave of Oswald Kamm in Alger Cemetery, the namesake of the Kamm's neighborhood. Read more about his legacy here.

Henry Alger and his family were the first permanent settlers in the part of Rockport Township which later became Kamm's and Lakewood. They were the earliest settlers to travel over the Native-American path that became Detroit Avenue. 

The overturned graver marker is that of Nathan Alger, Henry Alger's father. He died in 1813, 1 year after settling in his family in the area. The quote on his gravestone reads: "My friends I'm here the first that's come and in this place for you there's room."