This was the first run through the Old Brooklyn neighborhood. OB was settled in 1814 and was originally a hamlet of what was then known as Brighton. It was eventually annexed by the City of Cleveland in the early 20th century. In the late 1800s, farmers in the area were the first in the Midwest to use greenhouses to cultivate vegetables, becoming a national leader in production by the 1920s.
The boundary for this run included Big Creek (north) to Memphis Ave (south) and from Fulton Parkway (west) to Pearl Rd (east).
Notable locations included:
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo: Founded in 1882, the 145-acre park was relocated from University Circle on the east side to its present location in 1907. It features over 3,000 animals consisting of over 300 species. It is one of 16 nature preserve locations in the Cleveland Metropark system and one of the most popular attractions in Northeast Ohio with well over a million visitors per year.
Irie Jamaican Kitchen: This fast-casual Jamaican restaurant on Pearl Road offers bowls and boxes featuring traditional Jamaican dishes. This was the neighborhood meal for this run. I had the curry and jerk chicken with cabbage and plantains. Did not disappoint.
Pearlbrook Station Post Office: This post office was built in 1935-36 by the U.S. Treasury Department and designed by Joseph Boenish who also designed the Newburg Station Post Office in Slavic Village as well as the post office in Hamtramck (Detroit), MI. It houses an example of New Deal artwork.
Brookmere Cemetery: Founded in 1843, the cemetery was acquired by the City of Cleveland after the land was donated by Warren Young, a pioneering farmer in the area. Record are kept at Highland Park Cemetery. Many of Old Brooklyn's founding families are buried here, including the Gates family.
Pearl Road United Methodist Church: This church began in 1814. In 1827, services were held in a log cabin at Denison and West 27th. In 1844, they built a two-story building at the current location at 4200 Pearl Road. In 1898 the current church was built. It has served as home to the YMCA, Head Start, food drives, the Old Brooklyn Farmers Market and other community programs.
St. Luke's United Church of Christ: This former church at 4216 Pearl Road was founded in 1839. In 1853, it moved to its current location at the corner of Pearl and Memphis. The current building was built in 1903. The church closed in recent years and has been acquired by the County land bank.
Jeremiah Gates House: Built in 1820 and located a 3506 Memphis Ave, it is believed to be the oldest residence in Old Brooklyn. The Gates family were significant developers in the area, building many mills which led to the development of Gates Mills, Chagrin Falls and Bedford. Jeremiah and his family moved here from NY by way of Connecticut as early pioneers in the largely undeveloped Western Reserve. He and his family are buried in Brookmere Cemetery.
Old Brooklyn Historical Society: This building at 3430 Memphis Ave is dedicated to the preservation and knowledge of the neighborhood's long history. It also serves as a museum and store with hours of Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 12-5pm.
Distance This Run: 5.9 miles
Distance So Far: 214.2 miles
|Welcome to Old Brooklyn|
|Old Brooklyn Historical Society museum|
|Pearl Ave, the spine of Old Brooklyn|
|Sweet building near Memphis & Pearl Ave|
|Pearl Road United Methodist Church|
|The former St. Luke's United Church of Christ|
|Irie Jamaican Kitchen on Pearl Ave|
|Gates family memorial in Brookmere Cemetery|
|Unnamed infant, d. 1850|
|Both were born before Cleveland was even founded|
|Entrance to Brookmere Cemetery|
|Zoo bike racks|
|Entrance to the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo|
|Pearlbrook Station Post Office, est. 1935|
|Curry and jerk chicken plus cabbage and plantains from Irie Jamaican Kitchen|